The role of insulin, GH and IGFs in normal physiology and diseases
I have been involved in research on the role of GH insulin-like growth factors in normal physiology and pathological states. I have created transgenic and knock-out mouse models for these studies. Furthermore my recent studies have also included the use of a mouse model where i have gene-deleted the GH receptor in mulitiple tissues involved in metabolism, including the beta cells of the islets of the pancreas.
Thus, I am well-placed to be involved in this grant involving assessment of the GH and the GH receptor in beta cell function and beta cell survival and proliferation.
11. Novosyadlyy R, Lann DE, Vijayakumar A, Rowzee A, Lazzarino DA, Fierz-Maerki Y, Carboni JM, Gottardis MM, Pennisi PA, Molinolo AA, Kurshan N, Mejia W, Santopietro S, Yakar S, Wood TL, LeRoith D . Insulin-mediated acceleration of breast cancer development and progression in a non-obese model of type 2 diabetes. Cancer Res Jan 15:70(2):741-751,2010. PMCID: PMC2946167
12. Fierz-Maerki Y, Novosyadlyy R, Vijayakumar A, LeRoith D. Insulin sensitizing therapy abrogates accelerated breast cancer progression in a mouse model of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes 59: 686-693, 2010 PMCID: PMC2828655
13. Gallagher EJ, Fierz Y, Vijayakumar A, Haddad N, Yakar S, Leroith D. Inhibiting PI3K reduces mammary tumor growth and induces hyperglycemia in a mouse model of insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia. Oncogene. 2011PMCID: PMC3275680
14. Ferguson RD, Novosyadlyy R, Fierz Y, Alikhani N, Sun H, Yakar S, Leroith D. Hyperinsulinemia enhances c-Myc-mediated mammary tumor development and advances metastatic progression to the lung in a mouse model of type 2 diabetes. Breast Cancer Res. 2012 Jan 7;14(1) PMID: 2222605415.
15. Alikhani N, Ferguson RD, Novosyadlyy R, Gallagher EJ, Scheinman EJ, Yakar S, Leroith D. Mammary tumor growth and pulmonary metastasis are enhanced in a hyperlipidemic mouse model. Oncogene. 2013 Feb 21;32(8):961-7.